MISSING FILES IN DOCUMENT LIBRARIES

Note: this is not a tested situation (at least by myself). It worked for others and can work for you, so I found it interesting to post it here.

Action:
Upload of multiple files to a document library built from a document library template or upgraded from Sharepoint 2007 to Sharepoint 2010.

Phenomenon:
No files present in the document library after the upload.

Possible causes:

  1. Files with no check in are unmanaged
  2. Alien metadata* fields attached to files
Possible fixes:
  1. In Library Settings, choose Permissions and Management and then check Manage files which have no checked in version, and bulk check in the checked out files
  2. Remove the alien metadata columns, check the option in previous step, and bulk check in all the checked out files
Post fix:
Return to library and check if the files are shown.
Alien metadata refers to fields that are attached to files and do not match the document library fields and vice versa.

TOOLTIPS FOR WIKIS

In Sharepoint Wikis you can add pure HTML to your page. If you need to create a tooltip for a wiki link just add a tooltip property to the tag around.

Example: 
<span tooltip=”This is a demo tooltip”>[[List:Examples]]</span>

SHOW FAVICON

Although you can still use the link tag to show a favicon, in SharePoint 2010 you can use the following tag:

<sharepoint:spshortcuticon iconurl=”/Style Library/favicon.ico” runat=”server”>

This allows you to use elements that shortens the work, such as the use of $SPUrl.

WEB PART MAINTENANCE

This one comes already from the old MOSS 2007 (or maybe even from CMS 2003, not sure about that)…

Anyway, if you want to access the Web Part Maintenance page to manage the web parts on a certain page, just add the querystring parameter ?contents=1 right at the end of the page’s URL. If the URL already has other querystring parameters add &contents=1instead.

Happy SharePointing. 🙂

DEPLOY SOLUTION WITH A FEATURE ALREADY (STUBBORNLY) INSTALLED ON A FARM

After a lot of experiences, involving the cmdlets of PowerShell and good old STSADM, if you ever stumble onto an error like “Error occurred in deployment step ‘xxxxxxxxx’: A feature with ID 1x/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx has already been installed in this farm. Use the force attribute to explicitly re-install the feature” do this:

  1. Open the feature on design view
  2. Open the Properties tab next to Solution Explorer
  3. Set the Always Force Install property as TRUE

If you deploy the solution and the feature already exists it will be overwritten and the problem is solved. I don’t know if this is the best solution, but it’s one that worked just fine for me.

SHAREPOINT IS CURRENTLY CONFIGURED TO BLOCK INTRANET CALLS

I bumped against this error when accessing intranet RSS feeds. It seems SharePoint is configured by default to disable intranet calls. So, what can be done?

PowerShell’s the answer. Enter the following lines and this problem should be fixed.

  1. $farm = get-spfarm
  2. $farm.properties.disableintranetcalls = $false
  3. $farm.properties.disableintranetcallsfromapp = $false
  4. $farm.update()

REMOVING GROUP FROM MY SITES USING POWERSHELL

You can use the following script to remove a specific group from MySites in your web application.

The managed path to My Sites can be ‘my’ or ‘personal’. In this case I used ‘my’.

——

$site = get-spsite “http://mysitehost.dev&#8221;

$groupName = “group”

foreach($personal in $site.WebApplication.Sites | Where { $_.Url -like “*/my/*” })
{
$groups = $personal.RootWeb.SiteGroups | Where { $_.Name -eq $groupName }
if($groups.Count > 0)
{
$personal.RootWeb.SiteGroups.Remove($groupName)
}

}